Sunday, June 24, 2012

College newspaper humor: April 1918

                                                    
Here are a couple jokes from the April 27, 1918 edition of The New Hampshire newspaper, which was published by New Hampshire College (now the University of New Hampshire).  The newspaper didn't have a specific humor section; instead, jokes were spread throughout the paper.  I assume they were used to fill any empty space in the print.

I particularly like the first one because, as a knitter, I'm pretty sure I've accidentally hit a few people.  I imagine this girl was knitting something for the Red Cross - in fact, just before the war's end, the college actually began drafting female students for Red Cross work.

However, it's also nice to see people making fun of English grammar throughout history.

2 comments:

  1. Hahahah, I can't say anything except laugh uncontrollably! "While you wait for 25 cents."


    Also, I want to be drafted to knit things.... can I get a scholarship for knitting?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I"m still waiting for my 25 cents.
    I personally enjoy the comment about bathing suits ... because in 1918, people were already concerned about showing too much skin.

    ReplyDelete