Thursday, January 24, 2013

New Semester!

I'm back at college for my last undergraduate semester!  I'll be working on my thesis on the Student's Army Training Corps, Vocational Division, taking a Progressive Era history class, and taking a museum studies course on Material Cultures. I can't believe I'm almost done with my BA degree... on to bigger and better things, I guess!

In the spirit of back-to-school, with all of the necessary complaining about all the other students who always seem to get in your way while walking around campus, I will leave you with this little tidbit from the New Hampshire College Newspaper:




I don't remember exactly which issue I got this from, but it is from 1918.  I like how in this case, the German language is equated with ridiculous accents and overblown arrogance and buffoonery - making both underclassmen and the wartime enemy seem like harmless fools.  It reminds me of this WWI sheet music cover, which shows Germans as almost equally harmless:


Anyway, I think it is a very clever use of wartime mockery, strengthening the belief in the power structure of two communities: American civilization would triumph over an inept Germany, and well-educated upperclassmen would keep their authority over the unjustifiably arrogant younger students.  




No comments:

Post a Comment